Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Yesterday I finally booked my ticket to go to Hawaii this August.

!!!!!

I booked my flights through work, because officially, I’m going to to Honolulu present a paper at the AIAA GN&C conference. Josh got on the same flights using miles, because unofficially, we’re going on vacation, baby!

I’m presenting in one of the morning sessions on Thursday, August 21st, so we’re arriving on Wednesday afternoon and then staying an extra week until Sunday the 31st. We get to stay at the swanky Honolulu Hilton Wednesday night, but after the conference, we’re getting booted out of the hotel and will probably be staying in grungier places the rest of the trip. But hey, grungy in paradise is better than anyplace here!

So we basically have no idea what we’ll be doing for rest of the time that we’re there. Josh wants to see the areas where they filmed Jurassic Park, I want to go surfing, and we both want to see volcanoes. We know another couple that is staying in Hawaii after the conference, so we might tag along on a few of their adventures. I’ve heard that island-hopping isn’t cheap, but I spent a week in Oahu a few years ago, so I’d like to at least go to the Big Island and Maui or Kauai. Ahh, so many choices...

2 comments:

Jen said...

The big island is fabulous! Way, WAY better than Oahu, although I don't think I took full advantage of Oahu when I was there in college. I can make some recommendations for very reasonable places to stay on the big island that aren't too grungy. E-mail me if you decide to go there, and I'll give you the scoop.

Gavin said...

Hawaii rocks! I know they filled some scenes of Jurassic Park on the north shore of the big island... like the one with the waterfalls in the background while the helicopter descends. Unfortunately, in the summer, the waterfalls aren't very big.