Friday, September 12, 2008

Pop vs. Soda Map

I love this map showing where in America people say pop, soda, coke, or something else. I grew up in the Midwest so it was always “pop,” but when I moved to Boston for college, it seemed like everyone else laughed at me for it, particularly the cool kids from California and the sophisticated ones from New York, as if I were some cute backwoods hick. Having not much of a backbone at the time and convinced that the rest of the country called it “soda,” I converted.

Then I moved to Houston. Now it’s “coke,” and I’m calling it the wrong thing again.

(This made no sense to me at first, but I discovered that the ordering process goes like this:
“You want a coke, hon?”
“Sure.”
“OK, what kind?”
“Mmm... I’ll have a Sprite.”)

So who wins? According to the map (by area, at least), the soda kids are in third, the cokes take second, and the cute backwoods hicks claim the majority. Ah-ha!

1 comment:

cg said...

I grew up saying "soda" in NorCal, which the map reflects. I now say "coke" (most of the time), but not from living in Houston; I started when I was in San Diego, which is not reflected on the map. Plus, my aunt from Rochester, NY always has and always will say "pop", also not according to the map. It's interesting, isn't it? My aunt and I must have hit some random little pockets.