Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The Registry

First of all, ugh. Josh and I have been avoiding creating any type of registry for our wedding, but now that people have received our invitations, they’re starting to call to RSVP and “oh by the way, are you guys registered anywhere?”

Josh claims he can keep telling people that we’re not registered and we’re not planning to register. My two engaged girlfriends at work gasped when I mentioned we hadn’t registered, and one warned me that because we’re not, we’re going to end up receiving crystal swans with no receipt.

The problem is that stuff, especially kitchen/home stuff, isn’t all that important to us. We aren’t stellar cooks, I have no interest in fancy china, and we already have some nice knives and good quality pots & pans. Plus, we recently consolidated two apartments into one, so we don’t really a lot of room for new stuff. I’ve heard people say that weddings are a nice time to upgrade the stuff you already have, but I don’t feel comfortable asking people to spend money on things that I’m not convinced I would buy myself.

And part of me hates the fact that registries are so friggin’ domestic. You’re “supposed” to register for the big KitchenAid mixer, fine china, tablecloths, placemats, and fancy sheets. Although I know it’s more common now to register for stuff like electronics or camping gear, so maybe my anger is misplaced. :) And hey, if nice china gets you fired up, awesome. Whatever works for you.

We considered a honeymoon registry since we both love to travel and our hopefully month-long trip to New Zealand for next fall/winter won’t be cheap. But that kind of went out the window when we realized that we don’t have any of that planned, and our plans for the mini-moon following the wedding aren’t very well defined yet either. Plus, while many people think honeymoon registries are great, the other camp thinks they’re tacky. And if that’s tacky, asking for cash is definitely out.

Also, the wedding registry is basically the ultimate birthday list, and my own family can attest to how terrible I am at coming up with birthday lists.


What I really would like to say to our guests is this:

“We’re thrilled that you’re able to share this important day with us, and we’re flattered that you’re willing to travel all the way to Florida to spend the weekend with us. That is gift enough. Your attendance is perfect. So come, have a great time, and enjoy the vacation.”

Really, we don’t need any gifts. r e a l l y. If people insist, we might suggest that they make a donation to their favorite charity and tell us a little about why that cause is important to them.


So. Any bets on whether we’ll avoid the crystal swans?

6 comments:

Jen said...

If it makes you feel better, you can usually up with the swans even if you do register.

Becca said...

We have done a "we're not planning on registering, its gift enough that you're coming to our wedding, our favorite charities are:..."

people seem ok with this, but it might be the casual nature of our beach wedding :)

Sarah said...

I hear you. Jose and I are registering because everyone keeps asking. But really -- we're 30 years old, we share an apartment, and even though we're about to buy a house, we don't need MORE STUFF.

Now if someone wanted to buy us furniture to fill up said house...that'd be awesome. ;)

tracyvanhorne said...

Hi Melanie, I don't know if you remember me but I sat with the group at JSC for a while...

Anyway on our wedding invitations we put this...

Your presence at our wedding is present enough! But if we're honored with a gift from you,
may we respectfully request a gift of money to help the dream of our new home come true!

Most of the family gave us money, which was nice for our house down payment. For the rest of the people I think they were relieved not to have to buy anything. We got a few people who bought us something, but all was easy to return for cash or just stick in a closet. We, like you guys, had been together so long we didn't need any more stuff.

Good Luck and Congrats!

cg said...

Oh, you'll get the swans. If not, then something equally as hideous. I think it's a wedding requirement. ;) It's funny because everyone around me who's getting married all says the same - "we don't really need anything". In that case, maybe *I* should get married just for the dishes and sheets and such since I have very little, most of it having migrated to my sisters, for when I'm finally in my own place!

Unknown said...

Back in 1975 we registered for china and flatware only (and that's a long story in itself), and we still got at least 5 vegetable dishes and 5 blankets. Swans would have provided variety!