Thursday, July 07, 2005

Unicycles and the USPS

My package arrived today! I love the internet - you pick out what you want without having to deal with parking, lines, or noisy children, and then a week later - poof! It arrives on your doorstep. Today, my package contained a new hands-free headset for my cell phone and the new Howie Day CD. Most of the time, you can only expect to like a couple of the songs on a particular CD, but so far I like the majority of the tracks. Collide is still my favorite though.

So I felt like I had made some significant progress at work last week, which was good because I was supposed to give a status at our group meeting today about what I've done so far. However, this morning, I discovered that I had only made faux progress last week - it turns out the program actually wasn't giving me anything near what I had thought because I was printing out the wrong output. ARRGHHHH!!!! Thankfully, one of my co-workers helped me get it straight this morning, so I spent today trying to make some actual forward progress instead of the negative progress I made last week.

I love Seattle - today I came home from running to discover a middle-aged man learning to ride a unicycle. His back porch faces the back entrance to my apartment complex, and he was clinging to the railing for dear life as he haltingly pedaled back and forth. How great is that! I hope I'm still picking up new hobbies when I'm 40.

I've been thinking about entering a road race near the end of the summer. Well, actually, I've only been thinking about it for about the past two hours or so. I've been pretty good so far about keeping myself motivated to go running every day, but it'd be nice to have some sort of tangible goal in addition to the plain goal of undoing my slothfulness. I think that something between a 10K and a half-marathon would be a good distance, because I need a decent kick in the butt to get out of my 3-4 mile rut.

No comments: