Sunday, February 12, 2006

Blizzard

Well, I'm not sure I'd call the snowstorm that's hit the Northeast over the past 24 hours a "blizzard," but it's definitely been a storm. I slept through most of it, going to bed around 2am last night and not waking up until noon (hey, what are weekends for?), but we're still under a blizzard warning while the snow continues to fall this afternoon. I went outside to take the trash out and promptly buried my right calf in the snow, trying to hold the door open. After changing into more snow-friendly clothes, I went outside again to see what everything outside the alley looked like (the window in my room only offers me a view of the shaft of the building).

Here's the view from the front steps of my apartment building:
Looking down Marlborough street:
Marlboro Market is the liquor store kitty-corner from our building... also the cheapest place around to buy milk. You can see it off in the distance on the left.
The corner of Mass Ave and Beacon. This intersection is usually awfully crowded, but everything is eerily quiet today.
Apparently there's been enough traffic in and out of our building today to keep a footprint path cleared on the front steps.

Ironically, the moment I stepped outside my apartment, I saw the #1 bus stopped at the corner of Mass Ave & Marlborough. Apparently you can wait for hours in perfectly good weather for the bus, but as soon as the weather sucks, hey! There's the bus. I also saw a guy trekking down Mass Ave, in the street, wearing snowshoes. Another couple I passed was on their way home from Whole Foods, braving the stinging wind and flying snow with yellow ski goggles. It's amazing what you can see when you're out for only ten minutes.

I don't think I'm going to make it to the Tech meeting tonight.

No comments: