Thursday, February 01, 2007

Early to bed, first in the shower

I have not been doing well on my New Year's resolution to go to bed earlier. This means that I still snooze for way too long in the morning and then get into the shower only about 20 minutes before I used to. For about the first five minutes, all is well in the shower. Then the water starts to get cold. So I turn the handle further toward the hot water. But the water just gets colder. And then the pressure drops until it's barely just a trickle, dribbling out of the shower head. This is fine for activities like shaving, but for anything else you'd want to do, it sucks. Huddling in the back of your tub to avoid getting sprayed with icewater for 10 minutes per shower is not my idea of a fun way to start the day.

I can only guess that I'm taking a shower at the same time as 90% of the rest of our apartment building. The first time it happened was in the evening, so I assumed someone was doing laundry, but I highly doubt that anyone's doing laundry every morning at 8am. The building is pretty old, and apparently the hot water heater can't handle the load when all of us decide to shower at once.

Most of the time, I like my apartment. In fact, I love it every time I write my rent check and marvel at the fact that I'm paying almost $250 less per month than I did last year. The location is fantastic, the building is quiet, and I love the views and sunlight (and no weird upstairs-neighbor noises) that come with living on the top floor. But the building is old, there are old cigarette burns on our carpet from previous tenants, and the bathroom grows mildew like nobody's business because there's no airflow through there. There are things that I'd put more pressure on the management company to fix if we were staying longer, but I've lost interest in fixing most of them because I'm moving in 5 months. I'd like to say that makes me easy going, but it probably just makes me a lazy bum.

No comments: