Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Iceball

This winter storm that has blown through the Northeast and Midwest hasn't quite lived up to the hype, at least here in Boston. It snowed about 4 inches overnight, and now we're down to freezing rain. I decided that I'd rather not risk my neck in the campus shuttle with the crazy drivers and icy roads, so I walked to work this morning. The majority of my walk is across the Harvard Bridge, and it's always pretty windy. This morning I had to hold my hand up on the right side of my face to keep the freezing rain from stinging the part of my cheek that wasn't covered up by my hat or hood.

When I finally made it to work, I took off my gloves and started to put them in my pocket when I felt a lump at the bottom of my right pocket. Evidently I left my jacket pocket open while I was walking, because when I pulled out the lump, it turned out to be a perfectly round iceball, just the size of a cherry tomato.

No comments: