Thursday, July 06, 2006

It continues

In order to continue feeding my 24 addiction (still blaming Angela!), I'm thinking about signing up with Netflix to rent season 1 and the first half of season 4. I was comparing it to Blockbuster's similar plans, and it seems like Blockbuster has the edge because they also send you coupons for a few free in-store rentals each month. In the FAQ at Blockbuster though, they say that sometimes they have to ship a movie that's not first in your "queue" if the first one isn't available. It sounds like this happens on a fairly regular basis because certain titles are very popular, etc., and I would imagine this happens sometimes with Netflix too, but they don't advertise it. :) Any thoughts out there from those of you who aren't DVD's-by-mail virgins?

This afternoon I had an appointment with an allergist. I'm trying to pin down why my eyes have been freaking out this spring, and it would be nice to know what I'm actually allergic to and if there's a stronger medication or allergy shots that I can be taking to help my eyeballs. But when I got to the med center today and checked in with the receptionist, she gave me this weird look and started fiddling around with her computer and looking confused. "I don't see you on the schedule..." Crap. Did I write the date down wrong? "Oh, I see, it looks like you've been bumped." Bumped? Just what you want to hear when it's taken you two weeks to get in to see the doc in the first place. The receptionist never actually figured out why my appointment had been cancelled (isn't this her job as the receptionist??), but it sounded like the doctor had something personal that came up. So I now have an appointment for next Thursday, assuming that the doctor's dog doesn't develop the measles or something. I guess that's the risk you take when you go to a campus medical center that only has a couple doctors in each specialty.

This week has been great. Today is the first day I went to work this week, and it's already Thursday! And tomorrow I get to see more of Johnny Depp in eyeliner! Unfortunately, I just read a review on Entertainment Weekly that said the movie is pretty bad. However, I'd like to object. Nevermind that I haven't seen the movie yet. First of all, sequels are always worse than the original. Lower your expectations. Second, clearly you need a larger crush on Johnny Depp (or Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, take your pick). This way, you don't have to bother caring about the plot.

1 comment:

Jen said...

The Seattle Times had a great review here. This review appreciates how to lower expectations.