Sunday, October 22, 2006

My homework

It turns out that I have nothing more interesting to write about than my homework solutions. I have two midterms this week, so all I've been exposed to since Friday night are the walls of my bedroom and the inside of the grocery store. And, of course, the internet. Which brings me to my story...

The professor for my aircraft controls class recently hired a TA, a Korean grad student of his, so the homework solutions from weeks ago were just posted over the weekend. The first question on the first problem set was, "What is your favorite airplane and why?" I had decided to write about the Embraer 145 Regional Jet. Kinda lame, right? Well, I chose it because it's one of those planes that has two columns of seats on one side of the plane and only one column of seats on the other side, so by sitting on the one-column side, you can be sitting in a combination window/aisle seat. So there's no one to step over when you have to go to the bathroom, no sticky drink that gets dumped on you when the flight attendant passes the window person their Coke, and you don't have to jockey for a position on a shared armrest.

I was partially serious, but I also knew that everyone would write about the F-22, the SR-71, or some other military jet, so I wanted to be a little different. And furthermore, if the prof's going to ask a semi-ridiculous question, I'm going to give a semi-ridiculous answer.

Turns out I wasn't the only one. I was looking at the TA's solutions on the class website, and instead of skipping the "solution" to this question like any boring person would have, he writes: "T-50 advanced trainer, because it is the first jet fully developed by KOREAN technology."

4 comments:

Gavin said...

Hmm. My favorite plane?

No question. XB-70 Valkyrie. :) Because when you build a plane by hand since there's no assembly line, you might as well make it a sweet-looking supersonic bomber.

Sarah said...

I like the Super Guppy, mainly because it always looks like it's about to fall out of the sky. And because "guppy" is a funny word.

melanie said...

We actually just talked about the XB-70 in class today. I had no idea that the thing deflects its wingtips downward so that it "rides" on top of its own shock wave. That is pretty sweet.

Becca said...

P-51 or B-29, because I believe they won WWII for us.

A yellow Stearman biplane for style.

But probably number 1 is the De Havilland Beaver, because if I could pick any piloting life to have, it would be a bush pilot flying a Beaver on floats through the tundra.